18v charger on handy toughtest combo kit
Last Post 03-14-2009 07:08 AM by cynara1962. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cynara1962 Posts:34082
--
03-14-2009 07:08 AM
    I purchased a Handy Toughtest drill, saw, sander, and driver set from my uncle's Handyman magazine. I used the charger once and then the light burnt out to tell you if it is on and working. Well, when I put the battery in the charger it does not charge. I read the owners manual (which in my opinion is not very "handy") it tells me to replace a fuse. The only problem is that the screws holding it together are not your normal screws and there was not a tool in the kit to be able to remove them. My dad was trying to take a regular screwdriver and make a notch in it to be able to use it but, it did not work. Please tell me how to remove them or where to buy a tool to remove them. Thanks!!!
    Slug-GunnerUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:2250 Avatar
    --
    03-14-2009 07:41 AM

Welcome to the Handy forum, Please drop down to the New Member topic at the bottom of the opening forum page and introduce yourself. You'll find a lot of answers to most of your DIY questions on this forum. After you've been here awhile you'll probably start helping others too.

NOTE:
    If it turns out to be a 'blown fuse', what may have happened is that the battery was 'overheated' from heavy use when you put it in the charger. Next time, wait about 5-10 minutes and allow it to 'cool down' before placing the battery in the charger. My better quality Dewalt 'smart charger' won't let it start charging until that happens, but then it cost a lot more than the Handyman Toughtest tool set did. Maybe someone who owns one of the Toughtest Tool Sets can provide more info for you about this problem. If it happens again, I'd return the set to them.... but that might be a problem in itself.

Also, try browsing thru some of the older post on this topic and under the Member Product Reviews for more info about what other Handyman members think of the Toughtest tools.

The type of screw you have is probably a type of spanner 'security screw'. What you'll need is a special 'security bit set' that I've illustrated below. You can locate one at a Harbor Freight location near you or order one from the link I've posted below. Click on this link for more info on them. Your local Lowe's or Home Depot might have them, but probably cost a lot more $. They are always useful to have in your toolbox since you never know when you might need them.

Add A Bookmark   Send Wish List   My Bookmarks

View more Drill Master items
    100 Piece Security Bit Set 100 Piece Security Bit Set

A complete set of security bits to give you full access to protected components.
    • Includes bits to fit hex, hollow hex, Pozi, Torx, hollow-tip Torx, square and spline fasteners
    • Also comes with slotted and Phillips bits
    • 1/4" hex shaft
    • Rugged chrome vanadium construction

Hex end to 1/4" drive adapter, magnetic hex bit driver, hook hanging bit (Y- design), 1/4" hex to 1/4" socket drive bit and 1/4" hex wobble adapter; also includes 8 Phillips, 8 Pozi drive, 9 slotted, 4 spanner, 9 torque, 4 tri-wing, 9 hollow tip torque, 3 torque-set, 9 metric hex, 4 square, 10 SAE hex, 3 spline, 6 hollow metric hex, 6 hollow SAE hex and 3 clutch bits
    Weight: 1.90 lbs.

ITEM 91310-8VGA

$7.99   Email a FriendEmail link to a friend

Slug-Gunner

Keep an "Open Mind" - You'll NEVER STOP LEARNING!
    Slug-Gunner - - - Augusta, GA - - - Keep an "Open Mind" = You'll NEVER STOP LEARNING!
    Gerry_DUser is Offline Senior Poster Senior Poster Send Private Message Posts:5529 Avatar
    --
    03-15-2009 12:44 PM
    You may not like this, Cynara1962,

But the possible cause of the fuse "blowing" may be one cell or more is shorted or dead in your battery pack.

I know from experience; the inexpensive chargers that came with both my 12 volt Firestorm drills died, no fuse inside them,  the battery packs caused the failure. They had dead, shorted cells in them!
    Besides rebuilding the packs with all new cells, buying an extra "new" pack, I finally took the plunge and purchased B&D's newer "universal charger", (it will charge any battery in the Firestorm line).

This charger checks if a cell is bad and blinks the charge indicator lamp at a frantic pace when there is a bad cell.

If you are creative, you could adapt it wit a set of leads to any battery pack from 9.6 volts up to 18 volts. (I've used mine to charge packs other than the B&D type that way.)

Slug Gunner is correct on the security bit set, good call Slug Gunner.

But don't forget the deeper possible problem.

Cordially,
    Gerry
    stfisher62 Posts:34082
    --
    06-16-2009 08:54 PM
    I have the same problem with this tool set.  My dad  bought 4 or 5 sets of these tools at a flea market, and gave me one.  We used the tools several times, and had charged the batteries with no problems, then all of the sudden the light on the charger wouldn't come on, and the battery wouldn't charge.  We tried the other chargers, and eventually they all stopped working.  It wasn't a big deal since he only paid $20 for each set, but I have several batteries, and no way to charge them.
    Dewey2Me1MoThymeUser is Offline Senior Poster Senior Poster Send Private Message Posts:9817 Avatar
    --
    06-16-2009 10:06 PM
    stfisher62 wrote:
    I have the same problem with this tool set.  My dad  bought 4 or 5 sets of these tools at a flea market, and gave me one.  We used the tools several times, and had charged the batteries with no problems, then all of the sudden the light on the charger wouldn't come on, and the battery wouldn't charge.  We tried the other chargers, and eventually they all stopped working.  It wasn't a big deal since he only paid $20 for each set, but I have several batteries, and no way to charge them.

Welcome to HCOA stfisher62, if you have not done so, drop down to new members and tell us a little about yourself.  Welcome aboard.

Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well! Dewing my time in southwest IN.
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    I'm dewing my time in southwest Indiana.
    Useful links below :
    NEW MEMBERS; PLEASE READ FIRST
    also;
    For New Members....

Welcome to the forums!
    TO VISIT MY BLOGSPOT...
    OldmanUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:4875 Avatar
    --
    06-17-2009 10:15 AM

Take the charger with you and go to a Reliable Quality Tool Store. Ask for a bit that will fit these screws. Did you call their Customer Service for help on locating or purchasing the correct bit. Come to think of it you most likely can find a bit at ACE hardware stores. You have learned a GOOD lesson about Tough-Test  tools. Stay away from them. Have you viewed any of their Video's yet. If you do look at the brand of tools they use. You will never see a Tough-Test tool being used by the Handy Staff. Now I wonder why that is.

Edit:

You say you just bought this set. Don't they have a warranty on that set. Check the paper work and call "Customer Service" for a replacement/refund.

"Oldman" Wishing ALL a good day and a better one tomorrow from the central town of Owosso, Mi.48867

Wishing all a good day and a better one tomorrow from central Mich. in the small town of Owosso
    tdrakeUser is Offline New Poster New Poster Send Private Message Posts:1
    --
    10-11-2009 07:00 PM
    I also purchased the Handyman Toughtest 18v Cordless Drill several years ago and have had great success with the tool with one exception. The Drill head for the unit is stripping and will not go to full strength power before grinding and not turning under load. If the drill head was replaceable or available elsewhere I would obtain it. Even after 2+ years the batteries are in fair shape. To previous writer, there is a button to push to get full charging power on the recharger, check it out.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.