handy Toughtest Plunge Router manual
Last Post 05-20-2012 09:53 PM by rbtpartsman. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jhegarty1User is Offline New Poster New Poster Send Private Message Posts:1
--
12-31-2011 01:29 PM

move from 'Read First'

So I have this plunge router and I have no idea how it works.  It didn't come with a manual or anything, so I guess the good people at handyman assume people already have experience with the products they offer.  I however am a novice at woodworking and haven't a clue. Is there an instruction manual that I can get?  anyone know?  It is A Handy Toughtest model # QD6802R.  Help
    James

bompaUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:4744 Avatar
    --
    12-31-2011 01:33 PM
    That plunge router is virtually identical to one Harbor Freight sells and HF has an on-line manual if I remember correctly.

I will post this, then try to find a link. If I find it, I will come back and edit this post.

I believe this one is like yours.  Click on the link below, then click on the "Product Manual" tab to get a link to the manual.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...37793.html 

HF has about three plunge routers.  One of the others may be more similar.  If so, search the site for "Plunge Router"; choose the machine and do as above. 

Bob Hoyer ......... Bremerton, WA
    craigUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:4898 Avatar
    --
    01-01-2012 03:56 AM
    Let me dig around for mine. I scanned it years ago for another member.
    Navy veteran July 1980 - August 2007.
    AikoUser is Offline New Poster New Poster Send Private Message Posts:8
    --
    04-16-2012 05:12 PM
    I'm glad I found some of these posts regarding the Router QD680R.

Does anyone know of a "universal" router table that will fit this router? I've search and so far nothing!

no fits : Sears Caraftsman (all), Ryobi (all), Dewalt ( 2), Bosch (2 )

Someone please help! I do not want to buy another 1/2" chuck router AND a table

THank you,
    Brian
    bompaUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:4744 Avatar
    --
    04-16-2012 06:36 PM
    Posted By Aiko on 04-16-2012 06:12 PM
    I'm glad I found some of these posts regarding the Router QD680R.

Does anyone know of a "universal" router table that will fit this router? I've search and so far nothing!

no fits : Sears Caraftsman (all), Ryobi (all), Dewalt ( 2), Bosch (2 )

Someone please help! I do not want to buy another 1/2" chuck router AND a table

THank you,
    Brian
    Brian,

Adapting any particular router to a table that is not pre-drilled for it is usually just a matter of carefully drilling three holes (sometimes four).  That is all assuming the router table has the physical room to receive the router.  You simply remove the router base and use it as a template for properly placing the holes. 

I would encourage you to use one of the tables which use removeable metal plates which bolt to the router.  It makes things a lot easier than fastening to a solid top.  (I like metal plates.  Most plastic ones of varying materials are disappointiing.)

There may be another problem, however.  As I understand, the Handyman plunge router requires you to squeeze the switch trigger to turn it on and off.  This can be overcome by using Zip-Ties (or similar) to hold the switch in the ON position.  You always should have an external switch that is easy to turn off ahead of the router anyway.  Most router tables include a switch ahead of a place to plug in the router.  Some plug locations are not very convenient for un-plugging when changing a bit.  (My router table was this way.  I rewired it to have an outside receptacle.) 

Bob Hoyer ......... Bremerton, WA
    WoodchuckUser is Offline Veteran Poster Veteran Poster Send Private Message Posts:1192 Avatar
    --
    04-16-2012 07:34 PM
    If you check Amazon, they have several books on working with the router. Just search "Router books".

Most of the better books have detailed plans for building a router table. I would highly recommend this approach, then you will have a table that suits your needs, fits your space, and has the features you want to incorporate into it. It will also more than likely be more stable than many of the manufactured tables.

I would also recommend looking into one of the dual base routers for installing into a table, rather than rigging a heavy somewhat clumsy plunge router into a table.
    Bob "The Grumpy Trucker" Guyton, GA
    AikoUser is Offline New Poster New Poster Send Private Message Posts:8
    --
    04-16-2012 11:12 PM
    Aloha  Bob(s),
    Thanks for your ideas, I will definitely take these to mind. Too many choices!
    It's too bad the router is and "off size" . 

Mahalo,
    Brian
    rbtpartsmanUser is Offline New Poster New Poster Send Private Message Posts:3
    --
    05-20-2012 09:53 PM
    I am pretty knowledgable about woodworking and this router has baseplates that are not a standerd size either. And it comes with gadgets like edge guide and other guides but nowhere does it explain how to attach or use them. Without an instruction manual it would be so easy for a novice to get hurt. Woodworking tools should be used with the utmost safety, yet the handyman club really dropped the ball on this one. I am glad I became a life member, but this router is useless and unsafe for novice users without an instruction manual. And it is NOT worth any $200 as implied. I bought a nice Craftsman with fixed and plunge base for just over $100 and it had a carry bag, several clear bases, actual 1/2 and 1/4 collets (NOT ADAPTERS like the clubs) and most importantly a very detailed instruction manual ! Come on Handyman club, at least get a manual on the site available for download. I have been searching U-Tube and Google for a guide or manual but no luck so far. PLEASE Fix this for the saftey reasons and the benefit of your loyal members.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.